Design and Marketing Assistant
This is not a state position
Location: Arcata, CA
Hours: 40 hours/week, 12 months/year
Wage: $18 - $22 per hour, depending on experience
Project Name: Northern California Procurement Technical Assistance Center (Norcal PTAC)
Supervisor: Norcal PTAC Assistant Program Director
The Norcal PTAC is part of Humboldt State University’s Sponsored Programs Foundation. Headquarters are located on campus in Arcata, CA. The program serves the business community in fifteen northern California counties, providing free one-on-one consulting and non-credit education. Funding for this program comes from the federal Defense Logistics Agency (DLA), and the California Governor’s Office of Economic Development (GO-Biz). Humboldt State University has hosted the PTAC program since 2013.
Norcal PTAC’s mission is to advance entrepreneurship and economic growth through procurement technical assistance for all businesses in Northern California. We help our clients identify, obtain, and perform on prime and subcontracting opportunities with local, state, tribal and federal governments. We support all businesses in our service area, with an outreach emphasis on underserved businesses such as women, minority, LGBTQ+, and veteran owned businesses, and businesses located in low-wealth, rural, or disaster impacted areas.
Norcal PTAC’s current service area includes Del Norte, Humboldt, Shasta, Siskiyou, Trinity, Mendocino, Sonoma, Napa, Solano, Marin, Contra Costa, San Francisco, Alameda, San Mateo, and Santa Clara counties in Northern California.
The Design and Marketing Assistant position is an hourly, 12-month position that works 40 hours/week. The job offers a competitive benefits package including group health, dental, vision, and 403b employer match. The location of this position is temporarily 100% remote but will require some in-person work on HSU’s campus in Arcata, CA once County and University policies allow. While continuation of this position is foreseen for years to come, all Norcal PTAC positions are contingent on continued federal and state funding. This is a grant funded non-profit position, not a state or federal position.
Under the general supervision of the Assistant Program Director, this position is responsible for the coordination of tasks and projects related to maintaining the PTAC brand, and developing, designing and producing print and online communications and updates.
This position will also assist in planning, implementing, and managing seminars, workshops, and events as well as assist with administrative and customer service related duties as needed. The ideal candidate will have impeccable communication skills and thrive in a team environment.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design various marketing materials for events, initiatives, branding and collateral materials;
- Prioritize multiple projects simultaneously and communicate updated timelines as needed;
- Develop and schedule weekly content for LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter social media channels;
- Assist with creation and production of all relevant materials for events including PowerPoint slides, flyers, and evaluations;
- Draft monthly marketing email updates to network (via Constant Contact);
- Draft content (e.g. press releases) for mass media, newsletters, and company website;
- Manage and update company website (Wordpress);
- Produce quarterly marketing reports for submission to management;
- Interact with all levels of management, both internally and externally;
- Collaborate with partners and staff on strategies for effective marketing solutions;
- Perform other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Forward-thinking, highly-detailed creative designer with a solutions-oriented mindset/attitude;
- Strong communicator—“A People-Person”— willing to ask questions/problem solve;
- Responsible, consistent social media management;
- Marketing and content development;
- Excellent interpersonal skills: ability to develop strong relationships and work with a variety of people;
- Professional organizational skills;
- Skilled at using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Google Docs;
- Skilled in project management, time management, and performance measurement;
- Very effective in written communications—technical, formal, and informal;
- Strong with verbal communications—one-on-one, and in small groups;
- Ability to learn new, complex topics quickly;
- Willing to travel for events within Northern California
PREFERRED SOFTWARE EXPERIENCE
- Google Drive: Docs, Sheets, Forms, Etc.
- Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat
- Constant Contact
- Microsoft Word and PowerPoint
- Relevant AA or Bachelor Degree preferred from an accredited university or the equivalent of 4 years or more of sufficient and progressively responsible graphic design experience;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Excellent project management and organization skills
Qualified applicants should submit the following items via email to James Forrest at James@norcalptac.org.
1. A complete HSU application, downloaded from: HSU application
2. Cover letter
4. Three professional reference contacts
5. A complete HSU SPF Employee Information Form for Applicants, downloaded from: HSU SPF Employee Information Form [** Note: You do not need to submit the Supplementary Application indicated as a requirement on Page 2 of this form.]
Initial Review Date: Wednesday, May 19, 2021 (5/19/21), position is open until filled.
Humboldt State University Sponsored Programs Foundation is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected status. More information about HSU SPF’s Equal Employment Opportunity hiring can be found here.
For assistance with the application process, please submit an Accommodation Request Form, which can be found here or call the SPF Front Office at (707) 826-4189.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered this position within HSU SPF. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current HSU SPF employees who apply for this position.